It’s been a couple weeks since I made the decision to try to make living as a writer my new reality. The decision itself was exciting, but now I feel as if I’ve joined a race while I’m still scrambling to find the start line. I’ve been reading. Most notably, My So Called Freelance Life by Michelle Goodman, and it’s very helpful. But what I really need to know is how to start. Do I just send out query letters to magazines? Should I be using paid sites like Mediabistro, or Freelance Switch? Or would those just be a waste of my money?
I’m working on my novel, but that is obviously not going to be making me any money for some time. In the meantime I would love to write, edit, copy-edit, anything involved with writing in order to pay the bills.
I’m embarrassed to say that I have no idea where to start. But not so embarrassed that I’m unwilling to ask for help. I would love to hear any beginning stories from other freelancers, whether you’ve been doing it a while or are in your freelancing infancy. How did you start? What do you recommend? Thank you in advance for your feedback!
- Blog three times a week: I missed one this week, but I’m trying not to kick myself about it. 🙂
- Read and Comment on 5 other blogs daily: Good.
- Work on my Novel in Progress 1 hour a day: Done and more! I’m really enjoying the editing process.
- Finish my MFA apps by their deadlines: Good here! Far ahead of schedule actually.
- Complete Mass Effect 2 by March 6th: Done and done.
- Wake up earlier: Still not as early as I’d like, but earlier, yes.